Glutathione is a tripeptide compound composed of glutamic acid, cysteine and glycine. It is widely found in animals and plants, and its content is relatively high in baker's yeast, wheat germ and animal liver.
The physiological functions of glutathione mainly include the following aspects.
(1) It can effectively eliminate free radicals and prevent free radicals from harming the body. As a free radical scavenger, it can play a strong inhibitory effect on excessive free radicals produced by the body's metabolism to damage biofilms, invade life macromolecules, promote body aging, induce tumors or arteriosclerosis; it can remove lipid peroxides and delay aging; it can prevent red blood cell hemolysis and promote the reduction of methemoglobin.
(2) It can cause a protective effect on leukopenia caused by radiation, radiopharmaceuticals or antineoplastic drugs; it can combine with toxic compounds, heavy metal ions or carcinogens entering the body to promote their excretion from the body and play a role in neutralization and detoxification; it is clinically used to relieve the poisoning phenomenon of oxides, carbon monoxide, heavy metals or organic solvents.
(3) It can prevent skin aging and pigmentation, reduce the formation of melanin, and improve the skin's antioxidant capacity.
(4) It can regulate the imbalance of acetylcholine and cholinesterase and play an anti-allergic effect. It can alleviate the symptoms caused by hypoxemia, nausea and liver disease, and can improve and treat corneal diseases.
(5) Due to the detoxification and antioxidant capacity of glutathione itself, glutathione has an important role in protecting the liver. Reduced glutathione is clinically used as an important drug ingredient for liver protection.
At present, glutathione drugs have been developed artificially, which are widely used in clinics. In addition to using its sulfhydryl group to chelate heavy metals, fluorides, mustard gas and other toxin poisoning, it is also used as an adjuvant drug for hepatitis, hemolytic diseases, keratitis, cataracts and retinal diseases. the
Glutathione can not only be used in medicine, but also can be used as a base material for functional foods. It is widely used in functional foods such as anti-aging, enhancing immunity, and anti-tumor. With the continuous deepening of research on peptides, the miraculous functions of peptides have been continuously discovered, and they are playing an increasingly important role in the health of the human body.
*Special note - This article is for informational purposes only and cannot replace a doctor's treatment diagnosis and advice. It should not be regarded as a recommendation or proof of efficacy of the medical products involved. If it involves disease diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation, please be sure to go to a professional medical institution to seek professional advice.